Your Amazon purchases made using this link will benefit the United States Mine Rescue Association

united states mine rescue association
Mine Disasters in
the United States

American Smelting and Refining Company
Carbon Coal & Coke Company
Cokedale Mine Explosion

Trinidad, Colorado
February 9, 1911
No. Killed - 17

From the Google News Archives:  External Link
(news links open in a separate window)

Rescuer Deaths

On February 9, 1911, E. A. Sutton, assistant superintendent of the Cokedale mine of the Carbon Coal & Coke Company, Carbondale, Colorado, lost his life while wearing a Draeger helmet-type oxygen breathing apparatus after an explosion in this mine in which 17 men were killed.  It is believed that this was the first instance in the United States, wherein a person died while wearing oxygen breathing apparatus.

This company was one of the first in Colorado to install oxygen breathing apparatus, but only three apparatus were purchased and available at the time of the explosion.  Sutton had worn the apparatus on only two previous occasions, for periods of one-half hour each, and therefore was not thoroughly familiar with its operation.

Sutton and a superintendent from a neighboring mine each put on an apparatus and left the third at the fresh-air base in reserve.  When they had traveled a considerable distance from the fresh-air base, his companion, who was traveling about 150 feet behind Mr. Sutton, saw him struggle with his apparatus and suddenly fall.  The companion immediately returned to fresh air for help.

After considerable delay, two workmen volunteered to go after Sutton without the aid of respiratory protection.  When they reached a point within about 100 yards of where he was lying, one collapsed and the other returned to fresh air.

Thirty minutes thereafter additional apparatus crews arrived and recovered the bodies of Sutton and the workman.  They were treated with a pulmotor for more than an hour, but neither could be revived.

Examination of Sutton's apparatus revealed that one of the potash cartridges had not been connected at the bottom.  This permitted the injector to pull in outside air, which presumably contained carbon monoxide.

Source: Loss of Life Among Wearers of Oxygen Breathing Apparatus (April 1944) PDF Format

See more about these products

  Rescue Contests     Pop Quizzes     Mine Disasters   •  USMRA Membership     Links Library     Training Repository     Contact