Abernant Coal Company
Abernant Mine Explosion
August 13, 1912
No. Killed - 18
From the Google News Archives:
(news links open in a separate window)
More News Headlines at the Time:
- "Many Killed in Abernant Mine: Report from Tuscaloosa Says Fourteen to Seventeen Miners Lose Their Lives," Birmingham News, 13 Aug 1912: 1.
- "Explosion Which Claimed 18 Victims was Caused by Gas: Local Accident at Abernant Being Investigated by Nesbitt and Ray," Birmingham News, 14 Aug 1912: 1, 2.
- "Entombed Miner is Brought Out Alive After Many Hours: Escape of Henry Duncan at Abernant Mine Regarded as Remarkable," Birmingham News, 15 Aug 1912: 1.
- "White Miner's Heroism is Praised by a Negro: 'Kid' Clark, Globe Trotter, Anxious for His Friends to Know He Was Not One of Victims of Disastrous Abernant Explosion," Birmingham News, 15 Aug 1912: 5.
- "Nesbitt's Report on Abernant to be Finished Today: Several Negroes Could Have Been Saved if Helmets Had Been on Hand," Birmingham Age-Herald, 22 Aug 1912: 5.